Carbon monoxide or CO is a poisonous, colorless, odorless gas that can be found in construction areas where workers may be burning common materials like wood, oil, or fuel. Today’s Safety Saturday moment shares how to protect yourself and others against carbon monoxide.
CO is a toxic gas because it limits the blood’s ability to carry oxygen throughout the body. Because there are no warning signs of CO, it’s important to remain aware and prepared at all times before you or a coworker gets exposed.
Here are 4 tips to protect yourself from this dangerous gas:
- Understand ventilation in enclosed areas as well as all manufacturer recommendations for equipment that has the potential to produce carbon monoxide.
- In an enclosed area, use electric or compressed air power tools and equipment
- If gas-powered equipment is required open windows and doors for ventilation
- Monitor CO levels continuously throughout the work
Never ignore the signs of exposure and leave the area if you notice headaches, dizziness, or nausea.
Until next time, from all of us at the W. L. French Safety Department, stay safe out there.