Safety Saturday

Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas nicknamed “The Invisible Killer” due to its deadly effects after a long exposure period. Today’s Safety Saturday moment brings awareness to carbon monoxide and how to notice the signs of poisoning.

Carbon monoxide, or CO, can be emitted from cars, portable generators, gas-powered tools, and any malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances. According to the CDC, 50,000 people visit the emergency room yearly due to accidental CO poisoning, and 400 die from lethal exposure. Early CO symptoms are similar to food poisonings or the flu, such as headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, feeling dizzy, and overall mental confusion. Detect CO early by installing carbon monoxide alarms on every floor of your home, and get out if they start to go off.

Until next time, from all of us at the W. L. French Safety Department, stay safe out there.

Leave a Comment