Lock Out / Tag Out
Before performing maintenance on equipment or machinery, always identify the sources of energy that need to be locked out and tagged out: electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and chemical. Always properly shut down equipment and machines.
- Apply a lock to the energy source so power cannot restart it.
- Tell your co-workers about the shutdown.
- Put a tag on the locked-out item, warning that it should not be turned on.
- Test to ensure the item is properly locked out.
- After completing the work, tell your co-workers the locks are about to be removed and the equipment restarted.
- Always test or look to make sure that the energy source is shut down.
- Block or drain any stored energy.
- Be aware that equipment marked “high voltage” can store lethal energy, even when disconnected from the power source.