Electrical hazards are an area of major safety concerns in construction and account for a large number of injuries and fatalities. Extension cords and GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters) can be found on any construction site and remembering a few safety tips can help prevent serious injuries from happening.
- Never unplug an extension cord by pulling on the cord; pull on the plug.
- Always inspect the cord prior to use to ensure the insulation isn’t cut or damaged. Discard damaged cords, cords that become hot, or cords with exposed wiring. Keeps cords in good condition, remove from service if cords are damaged
- Do not remove the prongs of an electrical plug. If plug prongs are missing, loose, or bent, replace the entire plug.
- Use GFCIs on any construction site to reduce the potential of electrical shocks due to a ground fault
- Always test GFCIs before use by using the test and reset buttons. If found defective do not use that GFCI.