Be Aware of Your Surroundings
Being aware of your surroundings is paramount to avoiding workplace injuries. Here are some things to be aware of in your environment:
- Look for spills or items on the floor that could be tripped over.
- Note the appropriate safety equipment and gear for each task you are doing.
- Choose mechanical aids such as a forklift or wheelbarrow to help lift items and encourage others to do the same.
- Keep emergency exits clear and uncluttered so they are accessible in the event of an emergency.
- Use tools and machines properly to avoid injury and encourage other workers to do the same.
- Label hazardous areas and materials with appropriate signage.
- Know where the first aid kits are and which staff members are trained to administer first aid if an injury occurs.
- Know of the emergency procedures in the event of a fire, flood or earthquake.
- Only use secure, steady ladders and never use boxes or anything else as an improvised ladder.