Stop Work Authority
Stop Work Authority is empowering workers to halt work when a perceived unsafe condition, behavior, or hazard arises. If something on the job site becomes too unsafe or hazardous, workers have an obligation to stop work while the hazard is corrected.
- Stop The Work: When an unsafe action or situation is observed, the work is immediately halted.
- Notify The Affected Personnel And Supervisor. Provide a clear explanation of the reason why the work was stopped. Take immediate action to make the area safe.
- Asses The Situation. Review and discuss the situation and come to an agreement on the stop work action.
- Correct The Unsafe Behavior or Situation. Hazards should be eliminated before work resumes.
- Resume The Work. After corrective actions have been completed all affected personnel should be notified that work can continue.